Fruits People on Dialysis Can Eat and not Eat
Why knowing fruits people on dialysis can eat and not eat is so important? People on dialysis always find their diet is pretty strict and various with the change of their condition, because an unhealthy diet will largely increase the workload on the kidney which has been impaired badly. Generally, nearly all fruits don’t need to be avoided for people with kidney disease, but the situation changes when people on dialysis especially hemodialysis.
To people on peritoneal dialysis, they can eat nearly all kinds of fruits unless their potassium level is lower than the normal. In order to prevent severe complications due to low potassium level, they had better eat more high-potassium fruits and avoid low-potassium fruits, otherwise some symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, limb numbness, fatigue, tendon reflection decline, etc, may occur easily.
To people on dialysis especially hemodialysis, the condition is adverse, because they are more susceptible to high potassium level rather than the lower. Inadequate dialysis, high-potassium dialysate, constipation, high-potassium diet and so one all may contribute to high potassium level. When this happens, these patients must make clear fruits on dialysis can eat and not eat. If uncontrolled, some severe muscle and heart problems may occur.
Based on different contents of potassium, the fruits can be divided into two types: high-potassium fruits and low-potassium fruits.
1. High-potassium fruits: Banana, tomato, jujube, orange, tangerine, mango, persimmon, cantaloupe, grapefruit and starfruit all belong to this type.
2. Low-potassium fruits: Pineapple, papaya, watermelon, water pears, strawberry, lemon, etc, are classified as low-potassium fruits.
Since we have known these fruits’ content clearly, people on dialysis both peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis should choose the suitable fruits according to their specific condition. Not only fruits but also every food plays an essential part in the whole caring for people on dialysis. If you want to know more about diet for people on dialysis, you can tell us and we will try to make a detailed diet which is suitable for you.
Any questions? Fill the form below. You will surely get the free medical advice from experts within 24 hours.
- How can You Know Whether You are Taking Adequate Dialysis or Not
- What Cause Black and Blue Bruise in Arm after Hemodialysis and How to Deal with It
- What is the Stage of Dialysis and How to Avoid It
- Peritoneal Dialysis Patient with Headache What is the Reason and Treatment
- What is the Life Expectancy of Aged People on Dialysis