Steroid therapy is one kind of therapies to treat kidney diseases. It is used commonly in the clinical. In general, nearly all the patients will get involved in steroid therapy during the treatment. Steroid therapy can achieve the short-term therapeutic efficacy and relieve patients’ sufferings to some extent, meanwhile, steroid therapy also brings various of side effects to patients. Glucocorticoid is commonly used to treat Nephrotic Syndrome, here we will take them for an example.
Glucocorticoid is also called “adrenocortical steroid”, it is a kind of steroid steroid secreted by adrenal cortex. It is used to treat proteinuria, swelling and blood in urine and other symptoms through anti-inflammatory effect and immunosuppressive action.
Side effects caused by long-term and large dose use
(1) Because of material metabolism and water-electrolyte metabolism disorder, symptoms like moon face, buffalo hump, central obesity, acne, pilosity, hypokalemia, high blood pressure may appear. However these symptoms can disappear naturally after stopping taking medicine. And if necessary, the expectant treatments like taking hypotensive drugs, hypoglycemic drugs, low-salt diet, low-sugar and high protein diet are needed.
(2) Inducing or aggravating infections.
(3) The digestive system complications: promoting the gastric acid and pepsase’s secretion and restraining mucushttp’s secretion, declining the resistance of gastrointestinal mucosa. So it can induce or aggravate the duodenal ulcer, gastric ulcer, even hemorrhage of digestive tract.
(4) The cardiovascular system complications: long-term use can cause high blood pressure and atherosclerosis.
(5) Osteoporosis, psychiatric disorders, and even long-term use can influence children’s growth and development and cause infertility.
If patients make the decrement too fast or stop taking medicines all of a sudden, adrenocortical atrophy, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and low blood pressure may appear.
What are the contraindications of glucocorticoid?
Severe mental disease, epilepsia, active peptic ulcer disease, newly gastrointestinal anastomosis, fracture, wound healing period, keratohelcosis, the hypercortisolism, severe high blood pressure and Diabetes, pregnant woman, varicella, fungal infection and so on.
What you also want to know:
How can I get this treatment ?
How can I get this treatment in my counties ?
How much is this treatment ?
What is the duration if I receive this treatment in your hospital ?
How can I go to your hospital ?